Teeth are our ornaments. They give us that pearl white gleaming smile which we flaunt out to the world. To keep the oral cavity is no less than a challenge. If the mouth is left to stifle, the results may be devastating. Tooth decay has been considered one of the most common ailments people suffer from. Be it small kids or old age people, all of them need critical care when suffering from tooth decay or cavities.
Reasons for tooth decay
Most common reasons for teeth decay is food stuck and lodged between the teeth or on the occlusal surface of the teeth. Eating junk or in taking food which is not followed by gargling and rinsing leads to sticking of food on the teeth makes the them vulnerable to decay. The other reasons for tooth decay are poor oral hygiene, not getting enough of fluoride in the water or sometimes the reason may also be dry mouth. Among many treatment plans, home remedies are very promising and tend to produce no side effects or discomfort to the patients.
Remedies for treating tooth decay and cavities
There are various remedies that have been proposed over time. A few of them have been listed below. You may find what suits you and works for you the best.
1. Oil pulling: this is an old age practice which is used to cure halitosis, and remove plaque from the mouth. it is also widely used in cavities and bleeding gums. For this we need a teaspoon of sesame or coconut oil. Now put this into the mouth and swish it thoroughly into the mouth for about 5-6 minutes. Spit it out. Rinse the mouth with some warm water. Now repeat this procedure for about two to three times a day. Avoid gargling and swallowing the oil.
2. Salt: salt has antibacterial and antiseptic properties. Salt acts as an anti-inflammatory drug and helps the abscess or pus to liquidify and draws it out. Salt can be added in a glass of warm water and gargled for two to three times daily for best results. Alternatively, salt can be added with lemon juice or mustard oil and massaged over the gums to help relieve in swelling or killing the bacteria.
3. Turmeric: turmeric has been given medicinal importance in Ayurveda. Even in day to day life, turmeric is used in every house hold as an antiseptic. Turmeric has qualities of an anti-inflammatory and it prevents teeth from decaying and any infection to vent out from the oral cavity. Make a paste of turmeric and mustard oil and apply on the gums. This will make sure that the bacterial action does not take place. Keep this paste for 10 minutes in the mouth and then rise it off with plain water. This should be done twice daily for 10 days for best results.
4. Clove: clove is considered to be the best friend for teeth. Overall oral health can be maintained and improved manifold with the use of cloves. Cloves act as antibacterial and as an obtunding agent. It is widely used as a temporary treatment for toothaches. Also it prevents tooth decay from spreading. In a teaspoon full of sesame oil, add clove powder. Now dip a cotton swab in the mixture and put this on the affected tooth area for immediate pain relief.
5. Garlic: garlic has been known to have antibacterial and antibiotic properties. Make a paste of 3-4 crushed garlic and salt. Apply on the affected area and leave for 10 minutes. Do this twice daily for best results for about 10 days.